Jenifer C. Shafer
Associate Professor, Department of Chemistry
BS – Colorado State University
PhD – Washington State University
Jenifer Shafer is an Associate Professor in the Chemistry Department and Nuclear Science & Engineering Program at the Colorado School of Mines. She received her PhD from Washington State University in 2010, and a BS from Colorado State University in 2005. She is the 2019 Chair of the ACS Division of Nuclear Science & Technology, a 2014 DOE Early Career awardee and a member of the 2017 ACS I&EC Research’s Class of Influential Researchers. Jenifer is interested in advancing f-element separations technology through the use of new materials, supramolecular assembly, unique oxidation states and controlling electronic structure. Advancing f-element separations technology has broad applications from advanced nuclear fuel cycles, nuclear forensics and renewable technology. She is the coauthor of several book chapters, nearly 50 technical manuscripts and has lead or collaborated on projects receiving over $30M in funding for her work in these areas.
Most Cited Papers:
- Braley, J.C.; Grimes, T.S.; Nash, K.L.*; Alternatives to HDEHP and DTPA for Simplified TALSPEAK Separations.Invited Paper, Ind. Eng. Chem. Res., 2012, 51 (2), 629–638.
- Lumetta, G.J.*; Gelis, A.V.; Braley, J.C.; Carter, J.C.; Pittman, J.W.; Warner, M.G.; Vandegrift, G.F.; The TRUSPEAK Concept: Combining CMPO and HDEHP for Separating Trivalent Lanthanides from the Transuranic Elements. Solv. Ext. Ion. Exch., 2013, 31 (3), 223-236.
- Silver, M.A.; Cary, S.K.; Johnson, J.A.; Baumbach, R.E.; Arico, A.A.; Luckey, M.; Urban, M.; Wang, J.C.; Polinski, M.J.; Chemey, A.; Lui, G.; Chen, K-W.; Van Cleve, S.M.: Marsh, M.L.; Eaton, T.M.; van de Burgt, L.J.; Gray, A.L.; Hobart, D.E.; Hanson, K.; Maron, L.; Braley, J.C.*; Albrecht-Schmitt, T.E.* Characterization of berkelium (III) dipicolinate and borate compounds in solution and the solid state. Science, 2016, 353 (6302), aaf3762.
- Braley, J.C., Carter, J.C., Sinkov, S.I., Nash, K.L., Lumetta, G.J. The role of carboxylic acids in TALSQuEAK separations. J. Coord. Chem. 65 (16), 2012, 2862-2876.
- Braley, J.C.; Lumetta, G.L.*; Carter, J.C. Combining CMPO and HEH[EHP] for Separating Trivalent Lanthanides form the Transuranic Elements. Solv. Ext. Ion. Exch., 2013, 31 (6), 567-577.