Allison G. Caster
Teaching Associate Professor, Department of Chemistry
Allison Caster joined Mines as a Teaching Assistant Professor of Chemistry. Allison earned her BS in Chemistry at the University of South Dakota (2004), and her Ph.D. in 2010 from the University of California – Berkeley, where she was a National Science Foundation Graduate Research Fellow. This was followed by a Postdoctoral Fellowship at the University of Colorado Anschutz Medical Campus in Bioengineering. Allison has developed non-invasive, laser and X-ray based microscopy techniques for probing the chemistry of both natural and man-made structures. The applications of these techniques are, for example, to improve the production of smaller integrated circuits, or to identify and sort cancerous from non-cancerous cells in human blood. With a shift in focus to undergraduate eduction, Allison strives to highlight the applications of modern, interdisciplinary research in the classroom and laboratory, and to implement more active-learning strategies which improve student engagement, excitement, and retention.
- BS – University of South Dakota
- PhD – University of California – Berkeley
Current Research Projects
- Caster, A.G.; Kowarik, S.; Schwartzberg, A.M.; Tivanski, A.; Gilles, M.K.; Leone, S.R. Understanding Feature Size Effects in Hydrogen Silsesquioxane Resists with Direct-Write Soft X-ray Lithography and Imaging. J. Vac. Sci. B 2010, 28, 1304-1313.
- Caster, A.G.; Kowarik, S.; Schwartzberg, A.M.; Nicolet, O.; Lim, S.-H.; Leone, S.R. Observing hydrogen silsesquioxane cross-linking with broadband CARS. J. Raman Spectrosc. 2009, 40, 770–774.
- Lim, S.-H.; Caster, A.G.; Leone, S.R. Fourier transform spectral interferometric coherent anti-Stokes Raman scattering (FTSI-CARS) spectroscopy. Opt. Lett. 2007, 32, 1332-1334.
- Plenge, J.; Nicolas, C.; Caster, A.G.; Ahmed, M.; Leone, S.R. Two-color visible/vacuum ultraviolet photoelectron imaging dynamics of Br-2. J. Chem. Phys. 2006, 125, 133315.
- Caster, A.G.; Lim, S.-H.; Nicolet, O.; Leone, S.R. Chemically selective imaging with broadband CARS microscopy. Spectroscopy 2006, 21, 31-34.
- Lim, S.-H.; Caster, A.G.; Nicolet, O.; Leone, S.R. Chemical imaging by single pulse interferometric anti-Stokes Raman scattering microscopy. J. Phys. Chem. B 2006, 110,5196-5204.